bowls

Bowls are so practical. You can eat almost anything out of a bowl. I learned we only need to eat the amount of food that fits in a bowl that fits in our own two-cupped-together hands. These are just some of the bowls I have made, representing variety and playfulness. 


Boob Bowl (fits nicely in your hand while you eat out of it while watching TV).


This bowl is called Stand Up after a book I wrote using my partner's, Phil's, photos. It is about what we can learn from trees for our work as activists.


The large serving bowl above was purposed as a gift from Five Crows in 2021. The woman who got it as a gift liked it so much, she commissioned me to make another for a couple's wedding present, having me add words/ideas that they value. She gifted it to them holding a fresh farro salad.




Saturn



Color combination inspired by student Rebecca doing it first: "Fiar" and 28. See sets for more.




Part of my "craftivism" these say: liberty, equity, equality (2021)



Part of my "craftivism" these say: in the black...
to bring awareness to racism in our language.
"Black" in the common vernacular usually is something negative. 
"In the black" is a rare positive term. (2021)



I got a custom order to the make the bowls above, as a set to match other dishes this person has. This order inspired me to try out some other (more fun for me) ways to glaze them, and did the ones below. (2021)



That order ^ reminded me I like that size and shape of a bowl, so I wanted to make more to sell and use myself. The ones below have a design on them that I made that I call "deb's hug" representing my values: equity, equality, liberation, solidarity, nature, and community building efforts. (2021)




  I threw a hollow rim, then carved holes in these after trimming.



  
I waxed the spirals on these.



This is Acorn, a lidded dish. The lid can be used as a bowl too.



 


A custom order for friend, Martina, for her boyfriend (and future hubby).



 A poem from Breakfast with Buddha (book) written on the outside: "You know how dreams are..."





A poem called "Fat Pot" written by my friend Mary Jo Moore is on this bowl. 
I gave this as a gift to her. This poem is on the process page of dagworks.com.



These deeply carved hearts on this bowl attracted a customer who hugged it to herself as she paid for it.


 
Colors on these were inspired by my student, Danielle
I call the little one "Danielle's Sweetie" as it is inspired by some she makes that we call the same name.



A two part bowl on a "coral" pedestal. The base was inspired by a doodle by a teenager.



Contour lines carefully carved.



Quotes written with copper carbonate (bowl and plate).



Candy dish (custom order). I made the fused-glass ornaments that I wired into the carved spaces.






A serving bowl with BREATHE, a tree, and poem carved all over this, in and out.
I traded this for a stone and metal outdoor sculpture.






Blue Velvet



Patterned covered bowls for Sandy (custom order).



Waxed dots (see "sets" for other views of this).



Lake Erie Contours (carvings and pockets inspired by rocks found there).



Sculptural Covered Dish



Yummy Nesting Bowls



Vase Bowl



Comforting (to hold)



Red Glass



Sandy Beach



Spirals



Succulence & Stamps



Trees



Custom order for Martina and Kevin.



Wavy Edge



All contents of this site are property of Debra A. Griffin ©1981-2022. 
No images on this site may be used without permission.